Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Although I had hoped to have several lap quilts finished to take to a residential care home for Mother's Day, I only had one. I picked a rose from my garden and put it in a vase. I put the quilt in a gift bag with tissue paper. Then I drove to a care facility. I walked in and looked for an employee. The first one I saw I stopped and asked if there was a patient who had no family coming to visit her and was mentally cognizant. She pointed to a woman sitting in a wheel chair down the hall and told me the woman's name. I walked over and called the woman by name and gave her the gift bag with quilt and the rose. It was amazing to see her face light up with joy. I put the vase on a table near her bed in her room. I gave her the bag and told her what it was. She didn't open it while I was there, just sat there with a big smile on her face. I couldn't stay as I was volunteering elsewhere and was running late. As I was walking out, the employee came over and gave me a big hug. It felt good to do something that made someone happy. I hope the quilt will be something tangible that will remind her there are people who care about her.

I also gave a quilt to a teen parent program. I was told it was given to a young lady who had a baby girl. A picture was taken but not sent to me yet. The adult said the teen held the quilt in front of her face for the picture. I said that was fine. If I am able to post pics of the quilts, I do not want to violate anyone's privacy.

Today, May 14, I took some goodies to a Highway Patrol office. There was an "Every 15 Minutes" presentation at the school where I subbed. I thought the workers would be a good place to start with doing this act of kindness. The office was closed when I got there, but I called and someone came to the door and accepted the food.

So, while the things I am doing are not much by themselves, they are adding up over time. I also bought a bag of cat litter for a shelter today. I will need to get it to the shelter. One step at a time. I am doing my best to make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment